Visited November 2010
The Drakelow tunnels were completed in November 1942 and were used as a Shadow Factory for the production of Rover's Aero Engines should the main factory be bombed. Unlike other Ministry of Defence underground complex's which make use of existing quarry, Drakelow tunnels were dug specificly.
In the 1960's as the Cold War and threat of nuclear bombs increased part of the complex was upgraded and refurbished to become a Regional Seat of Goverment . THe rest of the tunnels were sealed up except for the use of emergency exits.
In the 1980's the RSG was upgraded again and became a Regional Government Headquarters.
The site was decommisioned and sold in 1993.
The site still contains remnants of the shadow factory including the original kitchen and canteen, aswell as the upgraded RSG canteen, BBC Studio, decontamination shower, blast doors back up generator and ventilation.
The Drakelow tunnels are not open to the public and are in Private use.
See more pictures of Drakelow