Visited July 2007 with The Riddlers
The County Lunatic Asylum, on Lancaster Moor, opened in 1816, within eight years, with a great demand for its services, extensions were built and by 1940 Lancaster Moor could hold 3,200 patients.
As demand for mental care declined, the Hospital took in patients from the local infirmary which was running out of beds.
The aslyum closed in 2000, the main part is grade II listed and the whole building itself is in excellent condition
The owners English Partnerships are currently deciding on what to do with the building.
A known entrance we had hoped to use to gain entry has been sealed, thankfully we soon found a new one and were inside.
We knew the ground floor was alarmed, so kept to the first floor.
Although the buildings are in great condition, there is nothing left inside. All traces of it being an asylum are long gone.
See more pictures of Lancaster Moor