Visited September 2007 with Sinnerman and Rookinella
Monks Park Quarry is still partialy in use as an active quarry.
Quarrying started in 1886 by Sumsions as a Bath Stone Quarry and has changed owners over the years. But in 1937 part of the quarry was taken over by the War department to be used by the Royal Navy as an ammunition and explosives storage depot.
The storage area of the quarry was sold to Leafield Engineering in 1995 who make components for the defence industry, the working part of the quarry is now owned by Hanson.
There was an adjoining tunnel into Ridge Quarry but has been blocked by Hanson.
See more pictures of Monks Park Quarry