Visited July 2010 with Markr
The North Weald mobilisation centre was built to store and supply ammunition, small arms and equipment to forts in the area in the event of an enemy invasion.
Built between 1889 and 1903, but was closed in 1906 as threat of invasion receeded. But with the start of World War 1 was reinstated to supply the London Defence Positions.
In 1920 the site was bought by Marconi and the Ongar Radio station was built. Which has now been demolished due to fire and vandalism.
During World War 2 the site was reoccupied again by troops to help protect the radio station which was declared a vulnerable position.
See more pictures of North Weald Mobilisation Centre