Visited March 2007 with The Riddlers
Opened in 1914 as Gateshead Mental Hospital, with a capacity of 500, became known as St Mary's after the formation on the NHS and closed in 1995.
Most buildings are in good condition, the joint water tower chimney has partially collapsed at the base.
Some parts of the asylum have been grade II listed and it is likely the site will be redeveloped for housing.
See more pictures of St Marys Asylum