Visited August 2007 with Rookinella, Pixielulu, Oxygen Thief and Markr
Whttingham Hospital opened its doors on 1st April 1873, made from bricks produced on site.
The hospital had four main wards with a Sanatorium for patients with infectious diseases.
The hospital also had an onsite brewery the ale was given to the patients as part of their daily diet.
In 1914 the clock tower was built.
In 1918 the name of Whittingham changed from Whittingham Asylum to Whittingham Mental Hospital.
Without the outbreak of war in 1939, a ward was used just for military patients and patient numbers rose to 3533.
In 1973 Whittingham closed.
See more pictures from Whittingham Hospital